Friday, March 28, 2008

First Widdowson Medical Mayhem!



Well, it took 5 years, but we have officially had our first bloody scare! The story goes a lil' sumpin' like 'dis.
Sheri came to pick up Tyler, Mia's little friend. Tyler was walking out to get in his mom's car and Mia comes out to say farewell. Typical stuff so far. Mia is carrying a glass bowl full of Corn Pops. She proceeds to break into a trot to catch up to Tyler, and for those of you who know Mia this will come as a great shock...she tripped over the mid-air and went crashing to the concrete. Pretty typical stuff around the Widdowson household. I uttered my usual line of, "Oh I am sorry honey, shake it off. Your a tough girl." But this time was different. By the time she turned to face me I knew it wasn't a normal Mia crash. She was gushing blood and screaming her little heart out.

To say the shattered bowl cut her finger sounds too tame for the scope of her injury. I dared to take a look and immediately wished I hadn't. The cut look jagged and deep. I saw parts of her finger that a mother should never have to see. Looking back on the chaos, I am thrilled that I didn't freak out. It was pretty scary lookin'!

Sheri took our other two babies while Jon and I took Mia to see our pediatrician. He had her fixed up in a Jiffy! Now for a bit of Mommy bragging rights! Mia was so brave! She saw the tools that the doctor unsheathed and the "numbing needle" and let out little more than a whimper. She put the ipod on and tuned into her favorite song...which happens to be Bubbly by Cobbie Calliat...and gritted her teeth 'til it was over. What a moment for me and her Papa Bear.

6 comments:

Ash said...

Mind your an amazing Mom to handle all of that. Wow. Scary. I would say Mia is way tough. I know that my days of things like that will come. Miss ya Mind. Let's get together.

N&WOdom said...

oh my gosh mindy! i cant believe it! that is so freaking scary! i think i would have totally freaked! i am not too good with that stuff. i cry when crew gets his shots! i know lame but i feel so bad for him! way to go! love ya! whit

Anonymous said...

Hey Mia, way to go granddaughter, we always knew you were tough...Grandpa and you can be mates, He has a scare on his finger too. We are sure proud of you being to brave at the Drs. office. We love you lots Love JoJo

Sara said...

Oh my gosh... he fingerlooks worse than I thought!! Scary... when this happens to Ava I am going to have to give you a call... I will be freakin out!Me and bloody stuff dont go well together! What a strong little kid!

Tate Family said...

Way to go Mia! What a champ! Have yet to experience the "proud moment" with kids...will be someone other than Quinn I'm sure!

hillarie said...

Um SICK! That finger looks nasty! I feel your pain- remember Liv's chin? Anyways, I can't believe THAT didn't come up in our conversation! It was so good to talk to you, by the way. I'll be checking for your comments now......